Rain, Rain, Don't Go Away

August 22, 2009 at 9:30 am (Random Thoughts, Writing)

After some hyped-but-small thunderstorms last night, it’s partially cloudy today. And where many of you will want to throw something at me for saying this, the clouds are a good thing. Down here in the southwest, clouds are hard to come by, or at least, any that have more substance than ethereal chubby bunnies floating through a bright blue sky. The same hype is promising thunderstorms today and tomorrow, but being a weather veteran down here, I have to reduce those promises by about 80% and play rain roulette with the other 20%–in other words, I ain’t holding my breath. But still I hope.

Why the big weather report? Because of the clouds. A cloudy day to me feels like somebody’s pumping pure oxygen into my veins, plump endorphins into my brain, and raw inspiration into every sense, nerve, and pore. A cloudy day like today makes me want to write and edit and plan and just dive into my writing. A cloudy day is why I made the curtains in my writing room with a heavy blue underlayer–so every sunny day would feel like today.

So, I’m going to go now. I’m either going to edit BROKEN or do some character study for the WIP coming up in September, maybe both. I’ve got oxygen, endorphins and inspiration.

Let’s rock.

Advertisements

9 Comments

  1. coffeegirl88 said,

    It’s amazing how a change in the weather can do wonders for you attitude. We’ve got a wonderfully cool(ish) day with plenty of wind and I’m feeling energized. So much so that I’m about to open up my writing program and actually . . . wait for it . . . write!

    Good luck with which ever you decide to do today.

  2. Montana (curtbooks) said,

    You’ve just finished your editing session, and I’m just starting mine. Thanks for the inspiration.

  3. Pamela Cayne said,

    Coffee-thanks! Hope you got some great writing done, too. Good thing fall is coming up. 🙂

    Montana-woot for editing! 😀

  4. Heidi Betts said,

    I am so with you, Pam! I know the weather we’ve had here in PA lately can’t possibly be as warm as you’ve got in AZ, but it’s too hot for me. I swear, the heat & humidity were sucking the life out of me. I’ve been sluggish & tired & out of sorts. Yesterday & today were cooler, tho, & I feel like myself again!

    So to all those who have been suffering torrential downpours & are sick to death of rain–apologies, but I love it! Send me more! Or at least keep that nice cloud cover & the cool breeze coming!

  5. L.A. Mitchell said,

    Just think of what you could accomplish in Seattle!

  6. Marilyn Brant said,

    Go, YOUUUUU!!!
    Hope the clouds continued to give you inspiration today :).

  7. Pamela Cayne said,

    Heidi–Are you getting any of Tropical Storm Bill? He’s supposed to bring some showers, I think. I will do my rain dance for you. 🙂

    L.A.–Believe me, I have given serious thought to the Pacific Northwest!!! 😉

    Marilyn–it did work! I edited twice, got a great backstory thought out for hero of next book, and did it all while the sun was shining! (Yes, I was correct in the taunting of storms. No such luck.)

  8. Robin said,

    Yay on your accomplishments for today, Pam! And see, whether it’s cloudy or sunny, you’ve got what it takes, girl!

    Wishing you continued writing/editing/brainstorming success! 🙂

  9. Pamela Cayne said,

    Thanks, Robin! I’m going to save your post for when I query a little later–I think I’ll need some warm fuzzies to carry me through! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s